Title 10, Chapter 6 of 2010 Georgia Code has a provision to appoint an agent to carry out financial transactions for you by executing Georgia General Durable Power Of Attorney. You as signing principal undertake that the term Durable in the title of this power of attorney implies that this legal instrument remains in force even in the case of your incapacitation to make your own financial decisions. Notarization of your signatures is necessary if you grant powers to the agent to transact real estate or personal property affairs. You may choose to appoint a successor agent using a provision in this general durable power of attorney. Your appointed agent must accept the legal responsibility of carrying out transactions in line with the powers granted and your best interest.
Georgia General Durable Power Of Attorney Facts
- Please select powers to grant carefully. You must sign with initials before each power to allot it to the designated agent. However, you may choose to sign before option N to grant all powers listed in options from A through M.
- Please designate trustworthy agent, as this general durable power of attorney in Georgia State remains in force even in your physical and/or mental incapacitation.
- Two adult witnesses must sign this Georgia General Durable Power Of Attorney in acknowledgement to your signature unless you grant powers from option A and/or B and sign before a notary public of Georgia State.
- Use provisions to give special instructions to extend or limit the powers if you feel necessary.
- Please type or print this form using black/blue ink.
Directions on filing a General Durable Power of Attorney in Georgia
Step 1: Enter your name and address followed by name and address of the agent under appointment in the foremost portion of Georgia General Durable Power Of Attorney.
Step 2: Sign with initials on the line before each power mentioned in option A to M to grant it. You may choose to sign before option N to grant all powers at once. Please provide special instructions if any to limit or extend the powers accorded to the agent.
Step 3: Enter the name and address of successor agent if any.
Step 4: Insert date and printed name. Then sign before two witnesses or a notary public of Georgia State as applicable. Please enter your SSN on the next line.
Step 5: Your witnesses to the signature must enter their name/s, address/es, and sign in acknowledgement of your signature. You may sign before a notary public and acquire acknowledgement from the same.
Step 6: The appointed agent must sign below the printed name for acknowledgement. Complete this form with the printed name of the Preparer and signature of the same.
Revoke a Georgia Durable Power of Attorney
You may choose to revoke the General Durable Power Of Attorney by executing an instrument and revocation. However, you must provide copies of the instrument of revocation to all concerned parties as well as your appointed agent.